Great Opportunity for the Summer–APPLY TODAY!
The Forest Preserves in partnership with Audubon Chicago Region has 2 internships available to work with Forest Preserve Resource Specialists this summer. $12 per hr, 12 weeks, 30 hrs. per week. Starts June 1st. Internship Posting link with job description:
Audubon Career Center: https://careers-audubon.icims.com/jobs/2487/conservation-intern/job
Please help us spread about this opportunity.
Now in its second century, Audubon is dedicated to protecting birds and other wildlife and the habitat that supports them. Audubon’s mission is engaging people in bird conservation on a hemispheric scale through science, policy, education and on-the-ground conservation action. By mobilizing and aligning its network of Chapters, Centers, State and Important Bird Area programs in the four major migratory flyways in the Americas, the organization will bring the full power of Audubon to bear on protecting common and threatened bird species and the critical habitat they need to survive. And as part of BirdLife International, Audubon will join people in over 100 in-country organizations all working to protect a network of Important Bird Areas around the world, leveraging the impact of actions they take at a local level. What defines Audubon’s unique value is a powerful grassroots network of nearly 500 local chapters, 22 state offices, 41 Audubon Centers, Important Bird Area Programs in 50 states, and 700 staff across the country. Audubon is a federal contractor and an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
Two internship positions are available to assist The National Audubon Society’s Chicago Region and Resource Project Specialists from the Forest Preserves of Cook County for a 12 week paid career immersion internship experience. The Forest Preserves of Cook County (Chicago, Illinois) is the oldest and largest forest preserve in the United States and totals over 69,000 acres of natural areas.
Interns will assist with vegetation management tasks, restoration projects, and in the coordination of training and safety activities throughout District lands. S/he will participate in the identification, survey and eradication of invasive pests throughout the District and ensure herbicides are applied to control invasive plant species in accordance with FPCC standards.
- Assist with the survey and inspection of trees and other woody materials on FPCC properties to identify potentially hazardous trees and other woody vegetation maintenance needs.
- Create work orders consisting of detailed locations and species composition for the woody vegetation maintenance. Assist with paperwork associated with work.
- Assist with the coordination of safety and training activities for District staff and volunteers including data entry work.
- Creat prescribed burn plans for forest preserve sites with guidance of staff.
- Participate in the identification, surveying and eradication of invasive insect pests throughout the District.
- Collect tree and vegetation management and other work related data for the FPCC G.I.S. program utilizing GPS unit and other necessary equipment and software.
- Must be able to work independently and must also be able to collaborate with other group members.
- Knowledge of the basic principles and concepts related to ecology or forestry.
- Ability to follow instructions and carry out related duties as assigned.
- Willingness to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions and perform physically demanding, strenuous tasks and work.
- Must be at least 18 years of age; must possess a current valid driver’s license (work sites are in Suburban Cook County).
- Must be working towards or possess a bachelor’s degree in a field associated with Forestry, Ecology, Biology, or GIS systems or substantially similar area.
- Proficient with Microsoft office products.
- Knowledge of GPS and GIS equipment, software and overall processes and ability to utilize in all phases of work is a plus.
- Ability to identify plants that are native and invasive to Cook County is a plus.
- Must be interested in the field of Natural Resource Management, any experience in the field a plus.