Oakton Community College has signed on to the American Campuses Act on Climate Pledge with President Smith’s support. This initiative began in preparation for the Climate Talks in Paris and is using energy generated from those discussions to invite and engage more Colleges and Universities to act. It is based on the American Business Act on Climate pledge. We are now one of over 200 campuses to sign on to this pledge. Below, is a link below with details on the initiative. This will be the start of a more focused and coordinated effort towards climate action on the part of Oakton. We are excited to see where it leads us!
Oakton Community College Pledge:
We (students, employees, community members) believe that leadership in climate action through practice, education, and social experiences is integral to becoming mindful global citizens. Oakton Community College pledges to:
- Identify programs and products that improve efficiencies and work towards carbon neutrality.
- Complete a greenhouse gas assessment that examines current energy resources and consumption.
- Devote resources to renewable energy opportunities such as our existing solar water heating system and 23.6 kW photovoltaic (PV) array and to the planned 25 kW PV array.
- Maintain and restore the natural areas of our campuses to protect ecosystem functions, sequester carbon, and support habitats for wildlife.
- Promote and expand composting opportunities to remove contributed food waste from landfills.
We understand that we are part of a diverse ecosystem and that the sustainable use of resources is important not just for our operations, but for the community, and the world.