2016 Sustainability Fellowships
Do you have students looking for an opportunity to contribute to unique and exciting new projects and initiatives? Encourage them to apply today to our summer Sustainability Fellowships!
There are opportunities for students studying in a wide variety of disciplines: business, law, education, engineering, public affairs, phycology, social work, public health, economics, english, history, political science, sociology, film, journalism, finance, planning, architecture, public relations, Environmental Studies, Sustainability Studies, and more. (For more details please see the full project list.)
Please forward along this message to your students and/or interested colleagues.
Online applications are due by midnight on February 23rd.
The University of New Hampshire’s Sustainability Institute is inviting applications for our competitive, multi-disciplinary Sustainability Fellowships. The program pairs outstanding students with challenging, diverse projects that will propel the US toward a sustainable, resilient future. Fellows receive mentorship, unique networking opportunities as well as a $6,000 in exchange for their work on various deliverables.
Time commitment: 40 hours per week, June 1-August 19, 2016
Location: Project-dependent. 2016 Fellows may be based in Durham, Concord, or elsewhere in NH; Boston, MA; Lexington or Louisville, KY; Providence, RI; Bridgeport, CT; or in Bozeman, MT. For some projects, state or regional travel may be required.
What You Need to Know Before Applying:
- All applicants should be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree program when they apply (seniors graduating in May are welcome).
- Academic backgrounds in the fields indicated in the individual project postings are preferred; these vary widely.
- We will encourage, but not require, an academic sponsor or reference for each fellow, and where possible we will ask that course credits are awarded.
- There is a MANDATORY three-day, two-night orientation in Durham, NH, from June 1-3. Lodging and food will be provided, but Fellows are asked to pay their own associated travel costs.
- There is a $35 application fee, payable online. (However, this may be waived for UNH students or in the case of financial hardship. To request a waiver, applicants should contact UNHSI.)
- The Fellowship does not cover any costs for temporary (summer) relocation or housing, beyond the $6,000 stipend.
Fellowships are opportunities for highly skilled and motivated students to contribute to unique and exciting new projects and initiatives. As a result, fellows will gain:
- $6,000 (taxable) compensation
- New skills and knowledge
- Access to extensive new professional contacts and networks
- Material to add to his or her professional portfolio