Location: Lisle, IL
Assist with compiling data on threatened oak trees for the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Red List of Threatened Species, which is an authoritative global assessment of the conservation status of plant and animal species. Work with Tree Conservation Specialist to prioritize oaks for assessment and synthesize research. Funding for this position is temporary with an expected duration of 12 months, with a potential for extension.
- Assist with gathering data on oak species from a multitude of sources to contribute to the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species.
- Enter data on oak species into the IUCN Species Information Service database and edit existing data.
- Provide support to the Tree Conservation Specialist with regard to The Morton Arboretum’s role in leading oak research and conservation efforts.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in environmental science, conservation, environmental policy, botany, biology, or a related science required. Excellent organizational and independent working skills required. Ability to conduct library research and online data mining preferred. Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, Gmail, and other Google applications beneficial. Knowledge of spatial data analysis and GIS beneficial.
Familiar with academic and scientific literature and research databases. Understanding of national and international conservation policies. Ability to read and understand scientific literature and peer-reviewed articles. Ability to use database, spreadsheet, and statistical/graphics programs, and proficiency with internet research. Good written and oral communication skills.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Physical Demands: Work requires some physical activity: sitting for extended periods of time.
- Work Environment: Office environment.
- Equipment: General office equipment.