Program Assistant Position Opening
The Program Assistant will help staff and promote public programs. This is a tremendous opportunity to get involved with a respected environmental organization that has been active in the Chicago region for thirty years. This position is part-time (approximately 20 hours) and temporary but there may be an opportunity for the position to become permanent with an option to increase hours worked in 2017.
Specific Roles and Tasks
- Work with Program Manager and staff to support all program needs
- Strong communication skills required. Candidate is expected to work with the public as well as on project teams.
- Must have own car and a valid driver’s license.
- Must be proficient in MS Word and PowerPoint.
- Support existing programs (mostly evenings and weekends) including:
- Open the building before programs
- Help program leaders set up the room and make sure they have everything they need (chairs, tables, AV, handouts, etc.)
- Distribute and collect program evaluations
- Prepare refreshments for participants (varies from program to program, sometimes coffee, cookies, cheese and crackers, etc. – no cooking involved)
- Check-in registered participants and sell tickets at events
- Welcome participants and may be asked to introduce speaker (public speaking)
- Clean up after programs (vacuum, wash dishes, clear tables and chairs)
- Lock up building and set alarm
Communications, Social Media and Program Promotion (20%)
- Increase organization’s presence online and on social media to promote programs and increase attendance.
- Distribute promotional materials to local message boards.
- Bring creative, innovative ideas to weekly staff meetings.
- Must be a High School graduate.
- BA preferred but not necessary.
- Must have strong computer skills, be proficient online and have the ability to provide tech support to program leaders (hook up projector, trouble shoot PowerPoint, check Wi-Fi connection, etc.)
- Strong organizational, time-management and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to be self-directed and also work collaboratively.
- Mature communication and interpersonal skills.
- Commitment to conservation and belief in the intrinsic value of nature.
- Must be able to lift up heavy tables and chairs (roughly 40lbs)
- Must be trustworthy and dependable, with the ability to pass a background check.
- Significant and meaningful customer service experience preferred.
- Must have excellent references.
About Brushwood Center at Ryerson WoodsBrushwood Center is a non-profit organization whose mission is to connect people to nature through innovative artistic, scientific and recreational programs, all of which are designed to foster an appreciation of the natural world. Our varied programs—including art classes, nature seminars and author appearances—contribute to a robust environmental ethic in and around Lake County. Brushwood Center also partners with other non-profit organizations and public agencies to help diverse and disadvantaged communities discover and engage with nature.
http://www.BrushwoodCenter.org. Please submit your resume and cover letter to Jackie Rockwell, email@example.com and put in the subject line, Program Assistant Application. The deadline for submitting your application is September 26th.