UNHSI’s Sustainability Fellowships pair outstanding students with challenging, important projects that will propel the US toward a low-carbon future. Sustainability Fellows each undertake to meet challenging deliverables, and receive supervision, mentorship, unique networking and professional development opportunities, and a $6000 stipend.
2017 Project Descriptions
Fellows Information Webinar
- Past Fellows
- Alumni Network (Coming Soon)
In 2014, the Sustainability Institute at UNH became the new home of the Climate Fellows program, originally launched by Clean Air-Cool Planet. The program matches exceptional college students from diverse backgrounds with high priority climate solutions projects. Through this nationally advertised and highly competitive program, students receive skills training, mentoring, networking opportunities, and a stipend for full-time summer projects undertaken with a wide range of partner organizations.
Application deadline: Extended to February 19th at midnight
Time commitment for Fellows: 40 hours per week, June 5-August 18, 2016
Location: Project-dependent (see project list for specific locations). Fellows will be placed with partners across the U.S. For some of the projects, state or regional travel may be required.
What You Need to Know Before Applying:
- All applicants from all academic institutions should be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree program when they apply (seniors graduating in May are welcome.)
- Academic backgrounds in the fields indicated in the individual project postings are preferred; these vary widely.
- We will encourage, but not require, an academic sponsor or reference for each fellow, and where possible we will ask that course credits are awarded.
- There is a MANDATORY three-day, two-night orientation in Durham, NH, from May 31 through June 2nd. Lodging and food will be provided, but Fellows are asked to pay their own associated travel costs.
- There is a $35 application fee, payable online. (However, this may be waived for UNH students. To request a waiver, applicants should contact UNHSI.)
- The Fellowship does not cover any costs for temporary (summer) relocation or housing, beyond the $6,000 stipend.
- Click here to view our informational webinar.
Fellowships are opportunities for highly skilled and motivated students to contribute to unique and exciting new projects and initiatives. As a result, fellows will gain:
- $6,000 (taxable) compensation
- New skills and knowledge;
- Access to extensive new professional contacts and networks;
- Material to add to his or her professional portfolio.