Youth Instructor for Greencorps Chicago
Greencorps Chicago is the Chicago Department of Transportation’s community greening and job training program run in partnership with WRD Environmental. Greencorps Chicago’s mission is to promote environmental stewardship and improve the quality of life in Chicago by establishing, maintaining and restoring natural and public spaces that are safe, healthy and sustainable through hands-on involvement with program participants.
The Greencorps Chicago Youth Program (GCYP) is a summer youth employment program, administered by the Chicago Department of Transportation and the Department of Family and Support Services. The Youth Instructor will spend the majority of their time teaching horticulture, landscape practices, tree care, bicycle maintenance, and bike safety to high school youth enrolled in GCYP. Instructors will work out of a Chicago Public School or other community based location, with significant components taught outdoors at a variety of project sites (such as community gardens or urban farms) throughout the City of Chicago.
The responsibilities of the Youth Instructor include:
● Lead activities and lessons to engage youth in horticulture, urban forestry, ecological restoration, resource conservation, green infrastructure, urban agriculture, bicycle maintenance and bike safety;
● Prepare youth to complete hands-on field projects;
● Maintain order and safety in indoor and outdoor learning and work environments;
● Plan and lead group bicycle rides and field trips safely;
● Develop & manage site projects and daily oversight of youth;
● Collaborate with agency and school partners to provide individual assistance to youth as needed;
● Adhere to a training schedule & submit reports for tracking youth progress;
● As a Greencorps Chicago team member, exhibit appropriate interpersonal skills and professional behavior to support a positive workplace environment; and
● Take on other tasks as needed.
Qualifications for this position include:
● Education, training or experience equivalent to an Associate’s degree in horticulture, landscaping, urban agriculture or related field;
● Able to fix and maintain bicycles or willingness to be trained;
● Experience working with youth ages 15-19 highly preferred;
● Experience teaching in a classroom or outdoor setting;
● Comfortable leading group bicycle rides;
● Desire and ability to work with a diverse population;
● Ability to be flexible and work with minimal on-site supervision;
● Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills;
● Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), email, and internet;
● Available to work 40 hours/week; Monday–Friday, 8AM – 4:30PM with 30 minute unpaid lunch;
June 12 – August 11, 2017;
● 1st Aid & CPR certification; and
● Completed UCIA Illinois state background check mandatory.
This is a seasonal position managed by WRD Environmental and employed by Signature Staff Resources, LLC. The pay rate is approximately $25 per hour, depending on experience. All instructors will receive 2 weeks of paid training prior to the start of GCYP. Resumes accepted until all positions are filled. Only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.
For more information about GCYP visit https://greencorpschicago.org/greencorps-youth-program/
Please submit resume and cover letter to:
Subject Line: Youth Instructor Position
Attn: Diana Cordon