MobilizeGreen is seeking residential Crew Leaders, Site Coordinators, and Environmental Educators for Youth Conservation Corps (YCC) programs during the summer of 2019. The MobilizeGreen-Forest Service YCC program includes multiple three-week residential programs for diverse young people between the ages of 15 and 18 years of age where members live and work together as a team. Staff will lead teams of high-school youth to work on conservation-related projects together during the day and participate in environmental education, personal development opportunities, and outdoor recreation activities during the evenings and weekends. The goal of the program is to create environmental stewards and future leaders through community engagement, physical labor, and teamwork. Staff work in collaboration with a co-leader to manage student and group safety, personal development, camp life, environmental education, and work-project management. Staff also represent MobilizeGreen on-site and coordinate with the Forest Service partner on designated projects. Staff must attend the orientation and skills-based training sessions. Program recruitment is targeted to attract youth and young adult leaders from diverse backgrounds, including socio-economically disadvantaged urban and rural communities, from across the country. To download, share and/or post a flyer for this position, click here.
YCC Crew Leader Benefits:
- Paid residential summer position + training & expenses paid
- Positions from 8 – 14 weeks long with weekly stipend starting at $680 per week, depending on experience.
- Develop collaboration and outdoor leadership skills
- Hands-on training and learning experience
- Work with high school students from across the country
- Explore and lead outdoor and recreational activities
- Learn about cultural and natural resource management careers
- Youth /young adult programming experience working with youth or young adults (ages 15-18) as a teacher, mentor, leader, counselor or coach.
- Teaching and/or leadership experience working in an informal or formal educational environment, including ability to organize and effectively teach lessons.
- Outdoor experience such as familiarity with outdoor living skills, including: hiking, safety awareness, camping, and cooking skills, etc.
- Conservation project experience in service project management, service learning, conservation, or trail/conservation projects and hand tool use.
YCC Crew Leader Requirements:
- Must be at least 21 years old by May 1, 2019.
- Must be able to perform manual and physical labor for up to 8 hours per day.
- May be exposed to the elements and must be able lift and/or move 50 pounds or more when required.
- Must pass a criminal background check.